Top 15 Ways to get more SLEEP in 2017
Every new year many people set new year's resolutions to better themselves. Many American's are sleep deprived. We all could use more sleep. Here are my top 15 tips to help you get more sleep in 2017.
1. Set a bedtime routine. Try to go to bed at the same time every evening.
2. Clear the clutter from the bedroom. Use the bedroom for sleep activities not as a storage place for all your unfinished projects or activities of the day. You want to have a feeling of relaxation when you enter your bedroom, not a reminder of the unfolded laundry or other unfinished tasks of the day.
3. Eliminate or cover all electronic devices in the bedroom. If you have your office in your bedroom cover or turn off your computer screen off so that light does not disturb you at night.
4. Disconnect from your electronic devices at least 30 min before bedtime so you can start to unwind.
5. Have the room a comfortable temperature.
6. Adjust curtains & shades as necessary to eliminate outside light.
7. Have a comfortable mattress and pillow to sleep on. Replace when necessary.
8. Try not to watch the news just before going to bed. Many people find it too stimulating. Watch an earlier version of the news or catch up on the computer earlier in the evening.
9. Eat earlier in the evening try not to eat a heavy meal just before bed.
10. Reduce your amount of caffeine later in the day/evening.
11. Try some deep breathing/relaxing exercises before bedtime.
12. Don’t replay your day in your head as you lay in bed. If you have to picture something picture yourself going to bed & relaxing & falling asleep as your head hits the pillow.
13. If outside noise is a problem try playing some relaxing music softly that will turn itself off.
14. Some people enjoy a relaxing foot rub before bedtime. Place a little lotion on your hands & rub the bottom of the feet, between toes & each toe.
15. Some people use one drop of therapeutic grade essential oils rubbed on the bottom of the feet. Use an oil whose scent makes you feel relaxed- possibly Lavender or Peace & Calm from Young Living.